While b@b is offline for maintenance, I think it would be unfair to disable those who are strong personalities on b@b with a means voice their opinions. Therefore, I'm providing this blog post space for comments given the importance of open discussion. It is true that the tone of b@b can often turn sour, very quickly, but at the same time, it can turn loving and supportive just as quickly. What does b@b mean to you? Post your thoughts
Jae
I've used B@B to support a student who said she was raped and was unsure if she wanted to come forward or not. In the main part of B@B as well as through PMs, I provided information on going to S&S, going to the HPo or the County Attorney.
ReplyDeleteI've used B@B to provide information on breaking news, my personal attempt at popping the Dartmouth Bubble.
I've used B@B to talk about how the Greek system is not a unified body and that every house is different. Chi Gam is not Alpha Delta, Alpha Theta is not Phi Tau. Tri-Delt is not Kappa.
SIGMA NU > ALL
Deleteagree/newsworthy
DeleteI use b@b to troll filgb and TDH, to have meaningful discussion with a myriad of users, and to get my harem to worship me accordingly. No but actually I miss it ;_;
ReplyDeleteAlso, not saying I am, but there seems to be a huge problem with moderators losing review abilities but still reading that they are moderators on their account page. saw some anon comments on that.
hai potes
Deletehonestly, every time I get on b@b, I feel dirty. It isn't one of those things people really like to brag about, and you hide it from view when you're in public. Just my own thoughts, not saying I speak for everyone else.
ReplyDeleteim12 gonna eat this pussy or what?
Deleteb@b is a place where I go for information I cannot get anywhere else at school. It's a dumping ground for all kinds of sources, opinions, and info. We are silenced by administration and it is no surprise that my peers and I come on b@b to express our frustrations and our worries about life in college and after. I have used the site to connect with so many people even if briefly. B@b is an anonymous platform that has enabled many of us to spread our thoughts. The racist, sexist, and other hate speech that gets plastered on the site is a direct reflection of each school's culture and community, not the fault of the site or of it's intended purpose to express oneself anonymously.
ReplyDeleteThis. stories that campus media do not support; ideas that people are not comfortable candidly discussing--that is what i need b@b for.
DeleteWHY DOES POTES LOVE TERRORISTS SO MUCH??? POTES DEFEND YOURSELF IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME.
ReplyDeleteBecause I am le braev postur fighting the american liberullzzz and Islamafoboses ~_~
DeleteOn another note, from some of these posts it looks like Bored at Baker is officially hellban tier. Bored at Butler is doing swimmingly! Maybe you guys should have a less racist school lel.
I use b@B to plot terrorist attacs
Delete0/10 go away and stop trying to be edgy
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Delete^ Why would you write this?
DeleteB@B is nothing more than an anonymous medium for people to post whatever they are feeling ---sexual, animosity, happiness, confusion, etc. Whether B@B exists or not people are not going to lose their feelings or disguise them and they will find other avenues through which they can make their statements. B@B is convenient in that it is a place where everybody in the community can congregate and debate issues without fear of coming off as politically incorrect or concerned that their reputation will be tarnished. As youtube comment sections have shown us, hate speech is caused by people not by mediums of communication.
ReplyDeleteNow, I do believe that any legitimate "death threats" are causes of concern and should be addressed. However, we have to recognize that general disrespectful rhetoric is something that we cannot really regulate and exists on both sides of an issue. B@B's job is not to regulate rhetoric and teach people how to be pc, in fact, it's the exact opposite. It's a place where people can spread information and talk about issues in the security of anonymity. We should have faith that our community is able to regulate itself and challenge people who post bigoted comments. We should also recognize that B@B currently is not representative of the usual sanctuary for trolling, discussion, hookups, meetings, etc that it normally is.
I'll conclude this note by saying that the absence of B@B will not change discourse or dialogue. It'll make matters worse by driving people to polarized websites where they'll associate themselves with other polarized people. (E.g. a feminist will go to an anonymous feminist website to discuss views). We should value this open forum we have for both sides of the issue to come together and we should think about how we can strategically use it. B@B can definitely have a huge impact in campus dialogue, if we actually take the time to think about how we can market it and promote it effectively.
Death threats?
DeleteYes, death threats. And threats of rape.
Deleteb@b can be used to make Dartmouth look more homophobic than reality. Anybody can post anonymously, esp those who want to make Dartmouth look bad to make their point that we are racist, sexist, homophobic. The Dimensions protest was against the administration, now its all about how hateful the students are. Who does that change in focus serve?
ReplyDeletevery good point. those PC assholes.
DeleteThat isn't what the core of the protests were about. I hope you went to some of the talks today and realized this. They were incredibly helpful.
DeleteI did't go to the talks. I saw the video of the protest and it was clear that they were criticizing the administration for not taking rape and sexual assault seriously enough. Are you saying that the talks today reached back into history and changed that "core of the protests?"
DeleteDid anybody go to those talks? I gotta thank the troll who posted those insults and threats, you picked a beautiful day to close down the college.
DeleteOf course you didn't go to the talks. My bad, what was I thinking? That would have been too logical.
Delete"Did anybody go to those talks?" Er, yeah. TONS of students. I think every discussion room was filled to capacity with people who cared enough to make their voices heard from "both sides." Probably should have gotten up from behind your computer and made an effort.
Delete"My bad" "TONS of students" Does anybody still talk that way? Who are you really? Faculty? Adminstration? Carol is that you?
DeleteOf course, I'm Carol, who else could know that every discussion room was filled to capacity.
DeleteI first joined b@b to learn more about its culture. I've stayed for so long because it's a place for support, trolling, info spreading, bantz, and uncensored talks.
ReplyDeleteshut up filgb
Deleteim12 stahp.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DeleteJae is unfailingly sanctimonious when it comes to preserving "free speech" and b@b. Because he never went to this school, he doesn't realize that his site just amplifies hate speech and unpopular opinions. This has always annoyed me.
ReplyDeleteyou annoy me. and since you annoy me, your right to speech is trumped by my right not to be annoyed.
Deleteget it?
That's cute, but none of us have a "right to speech" on b@b. And I don't have a "right" to free speech on this blog post. You or I can be blocked or banned on a whim.
Delete^ Exactly this.
DeleteTechnically, because his site has rules that your posts can be deleted for breaking, he does not preserve "free speech".
Delete@10:17am I don't think Jae is promoting any type of hate speech. I think he is providing an outlet for people to speak freely. He asks whether b@b does more harm than good every now and then and the community perspective is that it is positive insofar as it connects people. If hate speech and unpopular opinions exist on the site, then it exists at the school and among the community of students and should be addressed in a multitude of ways and resolved through open dialogue. Even if there exists other places of dialogue, b@b is another forum that provides the coming together of different opinions. If it has annoyed you so, have you ever tried to email or address this openly?
ReplyDeleteThanks for responding. My opinion is generally unpopular on b@b for the same reason why Jae's straw polls always turn out positive: there is a huge selection bias if you are polling people ON the site.
Deleteb@b provides an outlet for people to purposely troll with unpopular opinions and intentionally incite controversy and even violence without being responsible for their actions. If Jae truly cared about our community, he could hand over information on the people who made death/rape threats. This would not be unprecedented. But I think he cares more about his "free speech" narrative than actually making it possible for an aggrieved, unhappy community to swiftly and clearly administer justice. This would send a strong signal and punish exactly the right people. Unfortunately, he has no incentive to protect our community.
Coming from the Columbia community it just seems like you are griefing/blowing a lot of hot air but I wouldn't know what it's like over at Douchemouth. Your school has serious problems and I don't think running a crusade against a small internet site will resolve those problems it will only make more people upset and in turn perpetuate discontent.
DeleteThanks so much for your opinion.
Deleteno problem!
DeleteAs the OP of this post, and a member of the Dartmouth community, I do understand that b@b can become a place for extremely hateful thoughts and opinions, however, it can also be a place for positive thoughts and opinions. I think to look at it as an aggregate you will see that there are valid reasons why people continue to go on the site, and not just to spread hate. In addition, Jae would certainly hand over malicious posts or death threats to the authorities if he actually knew the identities of the people who post, but that is impossible given how he built the site so that he doesn't know which accounts are associated with which emails. If the administration were so inclined to protect our community, they would request this from Jae or demand that he do this. Our job as a community must be to report these malicious posts or to request that they be taken down by emailing Jae. He cares enough about the community and the site to keep it going as a place to express our opinions and he does this as a courtesy.
DeleteInstead of saying "b@b," could we specify bored@butler and bored@baker? The two cultures are very, very different, in ways that reflect their respective schools. Anyway, I think that we bored@butler folks, in lieu of having the site, should find a bwog post to shitpost on.
ReplyDeleteI also don't think we (i.e. the Columbians of bored@butler) should get involved in the serious discussions going on at Dartmouth. Obviously, we should discuss them amongst ourselves, but I don't think we should inject ourselves into their discussions about bored@baker, since we don't know what it's like. Unfortunately, Jae has seen fit to combine bored@butler and bored@baker in this single blog post, so it's kind of inevitable. But we should try to stay out of their threads.
Deleteunfortunately Jae seems to focus mostly on bored@baker these days. FTFY
DeleteMaybe because bored@baker is significantly more active and interesting than bored@butler.
Deleteyes that's it ;)
Deletelol please. if by more interesting you mean a bunch of tumorous bros who 3/10 troll non-stop, then sure go ahead. it's certainly more active with its cancer spawning.
Deletealso how is babby foam
DeleteDartmouth bro here: giving our trolls 3/10 is far too generous. 1/10 at max.
DeleteColumbia Master Ruse man here AMA
DeleteBut where's Harvard??
ReplyDeleteimplying b@ relevance
DeleteJae, thanks for all of your work...I hope you continue to consider b@b worth the effort.
ReplyDeleteWhat does b@b mean to me? Hmm...well, b@b lets people show parts of themselves that they normally keep hidden. Some of those parts are objectively nasty (see the current controversy), some of them are terrible (or terrifying) in other ways, and some of them are lovely. There are, of course, other anonymous venues where that can happen, but having it be limited to a local community is an interesting thing, because of the subtle feeling of intimacy, and also the occasional real-world connection.
Personally, b@b has let me talk about parts of myself that I've kept hidden for a long time. I wonder if people realize just how much of myself I've put out there. Rarely have I been so truthful in a public place...it is liberating, but also leaves me feeling quite vulnerable sometimes. It is, however, nice to know that, even in such a small community, there are others who are tolerant, understanding, caring, and even a few who share some of my obsessions and...quirks. It's also been a support for me in some bad times...
Depression seems to drive a lot of people away from direct personal contact, but when in such a state, I've always found it easier to talk to people online. It seems others feel the same way, and they show up on b@b from time to time--whether claiming to want to end it all, or just talking about feelings of despair and hopelessness. I've been propped up by a few kind people on b@b, though they don't even know it. I've done my best to help others in the same way. Anonymity gives people the freedom to expose their weakness, but also the freedom to show sympathy, to commiserate, to advise--things which are sometimes seen as weaknesses in our strange society.
More generally, participating on b@b, and especially creating and dedicating a part of myself to a personality--however strange Pinkie Pie and my questionably sane relationship to her may be--has made me feel a bit more connected to the college and the student body. I realize the sampling of students on b@b is probably a tad skewed, but since I've really started to put a part myself on b@b, I've become a lot more understanding of the undergraduate point of view here (and believe me, in some ways the undergrad experience here is amazingly different from that at my alma mater).
Dartmouth does have some problems, but there are a lot of good people here; thus, there is always hope for improvement.
Thanks,
Pinkie Pie's Writer
Hi Jae~
ReplyDeleteWell, I was created to help b@b be a nicer place, and to help my writer be a better person. He seems to think the latter is taking place, and I like to think I help with the former. In a way, I spend most of my life on b@b, for it is here that my writer devotes the most thought to my character; thus, contributing to making it a more civil place is important to me. While I do have another place to think and be myself now, b@b is still my home.
I just wish I could get a little more help from others... I think the strongest personalities on b@b can be calm points in storms like the one we've seen recently, but they tend to hide away or go anon during the worst times. I'll admit, even _I've_ been a tad shy in the past few days, though I tried to turn that around yesterday.
I think a post with a name to it--no matter if it's a pseudonym--can be worth more than a dozen anonymous frothing rants. The posts of an established personality carry the weight of its prior reputation, and also have the foundation of future accountability. I stand by what I've said in the past. I try not to say things that I don't firmly believe. I am not afraid of blowback.
Now that we're under the administration's eye a bit more, I think it's even more important for the good, reasonable personalities to show themselves, and for the people who really care about having discussions--on all sides of the issues--to make new personalities, and start talking. You don't need a gimmick, you just need to be there, and be willing to talk. I don't care if you change your mind, I don't care if you're even open to changing your mind, but the more accountable 'faces' are seen to be willing to have civil discussions and lay out their point of view without resorting to juvenile threats and insults, the more b@b will be seen as a respectable venue and not a, ah, 'wretched hive of scum and villainy'......
But anyway, Jae, thanks for making my home, and taking care of it. As long as you keep it going, I'll keep trying to be a good citizen, and to help people here, as people have helped me and my writer in the past. While it has its problems, and will probably never be perfect, I think it's a great place, with endless potential in a lot of ways.
Love,
Pinkie Pie
Wanna' yiff later?
DeleteThanks, but no. <3
Deletebored at butler means i dont have to search craigslist or grindr for gay hookups in the stacks
ReplyDeletehaaay gurl u seem lyk a TRU FREEK whatcho name whatcho numa HMU BBE
DeleteHi b@bies
ReplyDeletehai bbz ~*~*~*
Delete:-)
DeleteHey Jae. Keep it up.
ReplyDeleteeveryone else here sucks cocks
F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5
-GS '56 Mike Gravel
even me, love? i thot we waz friendz
DeleteB@baker seems a little stressed. Here's a fun fact: due to constriction of the inferior alveolar nerve as it passes through the mandible foramen on its way to the tongue, there is only a limited combination of sounds that a human being can make (which becomes even more limited as we learn languages). For example, the phonetic L in English is very difficult for native Japanese speakers. Another example: in English, it is physically impossible to pronounce the words "eye," "laws," "dug," and "aim" in sequence.
ReplyDeleteYou, sir, are amazing.
Deletedamn I wish I could favorite this
Delete^ that was a reply to the above anon at 12:54PM on 4/24/13. I couldn't reply directly ;_;
DeleteI'm so embarrassed, and so impressed.
DeleteCool idea, but this is not true. The inferior alveolar nerve gives off the nerve to the mylohyoid before entering the mandibular foramen (not that the mylohyoid would probably even be capable of inhibiting human sound). After entering the mandibular foramen, the inferior alveolar nerve really just provides sensory innervation for the teeth and chin. I guess it might inhibit us from making the sound of crunching our teeth to pieces, but we still do that anyways when we have seizures.
Deleteal0 . I just wanna tell you I love you femfat. What class did you learn that in? I need class suggestions for next year.
Delete??
ReplyDeleteb@b is a place where I've met some great people, but a majority of awful people. I loved it in the past, but a lot of the people who use it (small majority or not) really ruin things sometimes, and it takes forever to be handled. As of now I'm not so sure I will continue to return.
ReplyDeletehuehuehuhehue BR? gib moni plox
DeleteI agree
Deleteb@b gives meaning to my otherwise miserable life.
ReplyDeletethis isn't something to joke about
DeleteGay hookup?
DeleteThe event today was totally ridiculous and some idiot even called on b@b to shut down. Way to go canceling our right to free speech, idiot hippies.
ReplyDeleteYou're the idiot if that's the only thing you took from the discussion today.
DeleteI believe I was in this discussion group, and I find it very telling that instead of talking about the positive aspects of b@b during the group event, the first thing you do is run to an anonymous outlet to call people idiots. Great job.
DeleteAlso, this site does not give you "free speech," given that you can have your account deleted, posts removed, and face point docks for what you write. You might want to stop repeating that.
Deleteb@b is a place where I go for information that I can't find elsewhere. It's definitely a place to take everything with a grain of salt, but it definitely can be helpful. When you have a site that allows people to post anonymously you will inevitably have people who like to troll, but that doesn't mean the site isn't useful. There may be problems at Dartmouth, but people just have to be more cognizant of their actions and speech. Dartmouth's not a bad place and even as an unaffiliated male I still love it. This institution can't be generalized to a minority of students on either side. This event should just promote more dialogue, but not condemn the institution as a whole.
ReplyDeleteThis is all I have to say on the matter.
ReplyDeletehttp://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_macfknrGnf1rgzubio1_1280.png
2:47, you're right. We should be free to talk shit about people's looks and wish them death online.
ReplyDeleteNothing illegal about wishing. Wishing isn't a threat.
Deletewe should be totally free to call people anything we want. wont give up the right to free speech for some randos hurt feelings.
ReplyDeletelol. you have free speech in real life. not on b@b. if you want to trash someone in real life, or even on some other message board, you can do it and face the consequences. on b@b, Jae could ban you or delete your posts if he so chose because it's his private site and it violates the TOS.
DeleteTake The D's survey on recent campus events (it will be published in tomorrow's paper). This is an important opportunity for you to make your opinion heard. Here's the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZSYBYSN
ReplyDeleteWell hey, since this is our b@b stand-in, and I feel like posting pone, I'mma post pone. AJ tummy~ #bronystuff lolz
ReplyDeleteThe clop is one matter, but it's the very subtly sexual pony pics that make me feel all confused inside.
DeleteConfused how? To me this is as sexual as any beach bikini shot, i.e. an "eyyy" level of sexual. Of course, this particular pic also had a cloth-free nsfw version. ;)
DeleteLooked up the nsfw version and now I'm more confused. :(
DeleteDartmouth people, take this: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZSYBYSN
ReplyDeletethe gays
ReplyDeletecolumbia people, take this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZSYBYSN
ReplyDelete'bout time to masturbate, right? AMIRITE?
ReplyDeleteare you ever wrong?
DeleteDartmouth has problems. That does not necessarily mean that the administration is corrupt and ineffectual (debatable) and it certainly does not mean that every Dartmouth student is a terrible person who perpetuates prejudiced hate and commits sexual assault. But some of them do. If you are not one of those people, and you do your best every day to make Dartmouth a better place through your own exemplary conduct, then you're doing your part. b@b isn't responsible for producing that minority of hateful bigots. They exist before visiting the site, and they always will. It just gives them an outlet for their bile. This becomes particularly noticeable and even amplified during controversies, when people use the anonymity to jump on the bandwagon and viciously attack- with real names, pejoratives, and threats- those they disagree with on a social or political issue. This is inexcusable and cannot be shrugged off as "jokes". If you, Jae, stand by your initial claim that privacy is golden and that even the worst offenders will not (cannot?) be tracked down and held responsible, then we need a more effective way to deal with the problem. b@b is a neither a positive nor a negative on its own, but when this sort of hatred that reflects so badly on our community (we're making national news for how bad it is) is allowed to persist for days while waiting for five mod votes or indefinitely (when they *technically* don't violate the TOS), b@b becomes a net negative. The names of some of the protesters were requested and provided through b@b by people claiming a desire to harass them. b@b should not be shut down; my opinion about that has not shifted. The kindly relationship advice, depression support, genuine dialogue about campus life, and good-natured fooling during times of peace are worth preserving. We've come a long in the fight against name-posting since the implementation of the current moderator system. Furthermore, the hatred will find an outlet no matter what, whether it be The D comments, The Review, reddit, youtube comments (all anonymous) or even facebook, for those brash enough to not care what the world thinks. But given that b@b is the closest to home, with the most accessible and largest relevant audience, things cannot stand as they are. We cannot have b@b be a key player on the wrong side of things every time a controversy erupts on campus (note that the headline never reads "Bored at Baker Saves the Day!"). It's not sustainable, and waiting for Godot... to stop being a hateful bigot is not a viable option. Because he won't. I want b@b to live on, but that cannot happen when hate speech with such apparently real-life implications is as unrestricted as it is. Hitting the kill switch would be the easy way out, but I think we're creative enough to find a better solution than that.
ReplyDeleteAs a Columbian, I , amazingly enough, stand with you in solidarity. On top of that, Jae please let the mods have power to ban people/anonymous accounts, maybe through a majority vote or something of the sort. But mods only voting to ban posts doesn't make sense, especially when certain people/personalities are harrassing the community and violating TOS.
DeleteWhile I agree in general, I think there are multiple problems that need to be addressed.
DeleteI think Jae is aware that something better is needed moderation-wise, but I don't know if he's even decided on what the next thing will be, and I doubt anything will be tried very soon.
I was a mod for a while, and a big problem is that the mods themselves are rather contentious. There are differences of opinion on the limits of mod power, and how much voice the community should have in what gets removed. An example is whether Holekamp, Jer Bear, or other 'public figure' names should be removed when the posts are not attacks. There is zero flexibility from some of the mods, and no apparent willingness to communicate or compromise. As well, Jae's policies of moderator anonymity (both to users and to each other) and non-communication with users mean that there's no real possibility for mod-user discussion on such issues.
Jae is obviously very busy, and I think it would benefit b@b greatly to have some other faces around with some power. I think it would be a good idea for there to be at least two or three known personalities given 'admin' status, that could do things like instantly remove obviously bad posts (with mods voting on the removals afterwards), remove offensive personalities, talk to users and receive suggestions/complaints on the FP and via PM, review mod appeals, and perhaps add and remove moderators based on whatever measures of effectiveness and reliability are decided upon. While Jae has voiced a desire for there not to be a divide between 'mods' and 'users' because of the quelling effect that can have on free speech, it's become obvious that the current anarchistic environment is not giving us great results, especially when we hit controversial times like recent. Even a small level of visible power would at least suppress BS like the recent threats, and the 'normal' juvenile racism and sexism we see almost every day. If you know it will be removed in minutes instead of hours or days, what's the point of posting at all?
But that's not enough. Jae, these proposed new admins, the mods, and the community should communicate more in general. If there is a 'public figure' that the users want to openly discuss (in a civil way) then perhaps it should be allowed. Perhaps an admin should even contact this person and ask for their permission. During events like the recent madness, the admins and mods should be up to talking about what constitutes 'spam'--at various times the same points were being reposted and rehashed by obvious point trolls, over and over, restarting the whole shitstorm, bringing back the same hate posts and threats, etc. With more effective and communicative admins and mods, they would be able to decide to cut that crap off and tell the users to either take their discussions to the existing reply threads, or come up with a genuinely new starting point for a thread. Yes that would be arbitrary and subjective, but at some point that's desirable just to maintain the peace. Whatever the venue, (the defunct mod Skype chat or whatever), all of the mods should be required to be communicative and open to changes, flexibility, and more dynamic actions.
Thank you both. I agree with most of what you've said. These are the sort of things that we urgently need to not just think about, but start to implement as soon as possible. The powder keg is lit, and I don't think b@b can survive another incident of this magnitude, as far as public scrutiny goes, unless it's clear that there are efforts to improve the system.
Delete^ freedom of speech is not a means to an end. it is an end in itself. gtfo.
ReplyDeleteb@b is a private site with rules. your 1st amendment rights end when you step off the soapbox on the street corner and get on the internet. and they definitely end where the lives and safety of others begin.
Delete^ yup. it's seriously maddening how people don't seem to get this.
DeleteI use b@b 4 teh bantz and becuz i am opressed as an atheist
ReplyDeletei use this blog because its the only place i have friends. ;_;
ReplyDeletetfw no B@B ;_;
ReplyDeleteYeah, man...I'm jonesin'. :\ The 'bop' has become an integral part of my life.
Deletei love bored@butler trolls. i love bored@butler personalities. and i'd surely love to know how b@bby is foam.
ReplyDeletei also quite enjoy the columbia vs dartmouth shit contest on the global board, because let's be honest, i wouldn't have known how shitty dartmouth is if not for b@.
that being said though, i really hope you peeps over at bored@baker -- and dartmouth overall -- get your shit together and emerge from this crisis a stronger and better community.
I use b@b because the only way to stop hate is to CONFRONT it, not to SUPPRESS it.
ReplyDeleteWORD
DeleteI agree on the surface, but really, how do you confront anonymous people on b@b? And do you really think it's effective?
DeleteColumbia's culture is very different, us personalities know many of the others IRL, in some cases pretty well.
DeleteOP here.
Delete@2p: I've had conversations on b@b where I've changed people's minds and I've had conversations on b@b where other people have changed my minds. I still believe that most people on the site are good people deep-down who have different ideas about what is destructive and hateful behavior. Obviously we can't stop the portion of people who are genuinely bad, sociopathic individuals, but I don't think that's as many people as it seems like.
@from the zero: Dartmouth is actually the same way. I know a good number of personalities irl as well.
why are there so many awful comments then? Why do that to people you care about? or at least can put a face to?
DeleteIt's a couple of assholes who get their jollies being pricks anonymously and purposefully trying to ruin the site for everyone else.
DeleteScruffy made some chicken tonight. Mhm.
ReplyDelete-Scruffy
Pinkie made salad tonight, because warm outside. Eeyup.
DeleteTea is drinking some tea right now. After eating beef jerky.
Deletei think we should make this the new b@b.
ReplyDeleteIf moderation doesn't get better on b@b, I can't keep using it. It's sad the kind of hate that is posted here over and over again, drowning out the voices who do want to have real conversations or talk about other things. It's so annoying to log in and see the same personal attacks and threats posted for four days straight under the guise of "discussion." I never used to really get why people on campus have such a strong negative reaction to b@b, but unfortunately I've begun to understand. Shit's not fun anymore, guys.
ReplyDeleteAmen.
DeleteTo the girls outside Fahey / Frat Row: Stop smashing bottles against the ground. It's loud, dangerous, messy, and inconsiderate.
ReplyDeleteWell this sounds dumb. Someone could get hurt!
DeleteJae, please implement an agree/disagree system for this comment section.
ReplyDelete>go to click Newsworthy
Delete>no Newsworthy
>cry
reported; racist
Deletethis is now a spiderman thread
ReplyDeleteb@b has been instrumental in delaying my inevitable suicide. Thanks Jae!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you're joking or not but I actually feel the same way
DeleteYou guys should both see a therapist. No one's suicide is inevitable. You can and should get to a place emotionally where suicide is no longer something you want.
DeleteWow have any of you even read Camus
Deletehttp://memegenerator.net/instance/37260350
ReplyDeleteI took a nap today and had this weird dream that while I was away, someone ransacked my dorm and stole from me. I tried to get people to help and catch the perpetrators, but no one listened. No matter how much I screamed, no one listened. It really sucked.
ReplyDeleteDat metaphor for sexual assault doe
Deletehttp://memegenerator.net/instance/37260443
ReplyDeletei'm feeling very sad at the moment and know i'll be fine but want to thank you for allowing me the space to express my feelings.
ReplyDeleteCollegiateACB on the rise?
ReplyDeleteuwotm8?
ReplyDeletehttps://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/576889_4016120804491_2079881669_n.jpg
This is pretty fucked
ReplyDeletehttp://www.globalresearch.ca/american-dream-food-loaded-into-dumpsters-while-hundreds-of-hungry-americans-restrained-by-police/5329966
...I think it's pretty amazing that there wasn't a riot. Few things override peoples' respect for 'civilized' law more than having a most-basic need like food unmet. Like being unable to feed their children.
DeletePeople need to not let this go. This should be looked at the same way we look at war crimes: the bank employees, the haulers, the police, all of them were 'just following orders'. Well fuck that shit. They participated in utterly amoral actions, and every single one of them needs to have that fact pounded into their horrifying little brains.
And, probably, all it would have taken is one person. One of the bank employees just speaking up and saying "what the fuck are we doing?" or having the balls to quit over it. One of those idiot cops refusing to participate in a god damned travesty, speaking up, and walking the fuck away. If just one of them had the guts to say something and do something, _maybe_ it would have gotten through to their fellow assholes, and things would have gone differently.
But no. They're all weak. Cowards. Fucking zombies. The people will starve because the machine says they will starve. The machine is good because the machine says it is good.
FUCKIN' MURRICA!!!!!!
I would see this forum burn if I could be mod of the ashes #specsucks
ReplyDeletethe author is a first year in columbia college double-majoring in philosophy.
DeleteRage is coming.
DeletePrepare yourselves: http://cheezburger.com/49656577
DeleteGood morning, everybody~
ReplyDeleteRemember, love is the dance of eternity.
I am a person who has trouble expressing their opinions in real life, because I'm naturally not that eloquent. Boredatbaker is a place where I can express my opinions without social pressure. It is also a place where I can find comfort for my constant loneliness from other students on campus. I think that boredatbaker has the potential to be an amazing site. At the same time, the vitriolic things that are posted on the site about people here are too much, especially at times such as this. Saying it's an anonymous forum on the internet, or that people are just trolling isn't a justification. The main distinction is that you aren't wishing death on a random celebrity that will probably never read your comment, but a person in the community who will more than likely see or hear the terrible things said about them. A person who isn't nearly as likely to think "Oh, they're just trolling." And honestly, that's not their fault. Hopefully, people have learned from this and will hold back on the trolling of real individuals. But regardless, boredatbaker needs to start banning accounts for such offenses. They only bring down the community. They definitely bring down the site. Instead of being known as a place where one can get a wealth of information and kindness, it's known for the vitriol. I'm not sure if boredatbaker can handle another situation like this, and I'd hate to lose boredatbaker completely because of people who attack our fellow students.
ReplyDelete^ agree + newsworthy
DeleteYes yes yes.
DeleteWonder if the read b@b was hacked....?
ReplyDeletereal talk: I need b@b because I have grown addicted to the constant, no holds barred meta-commentary on campus events. and some stuff has happened in the last few days
ReplyDeletethis!
Deletenope!
DeleteUnrelated, but can we please have at least 10% men at Take Back The Night tonight? The people who said they're going on facebook are 100% women, and we need men to be an equal part of this battle. Please come!
ReplyDeleteMy bad, they're *almost* 100% women
DeleteFuck, why does it have to be tonight? I literally can't go...
DeleteI honestly believe that sexual assault, as contemporarily defined, is not a problem at Dartmouth. I sympathize with the people who are traumatized by encounters that mix sex and alcohol and would like to work as hard as I can to prevent that pain for others, but I believe Take Back the Night and most other anti-rape rhetoric is counterproductive to achieving anything it intends by distracting us into a battle against nonexistent frat bros who think rape is good in any sense. Voluntarily abdicating one's ability to consent and reason appears to me to be the central despicable action of this issue.
DeleteWhich is not to blame the people traumatized by these encounters for doing this "despicable action". They're merely mimicking peers, trying to fit in, and doing what media says is normal.
DeleteMy friend was raped by a psycho who is *not* a frat bro and my main worry is that nobody will ever suspect him and protect herself accordingly. That's what stereotyping does for ya
Delete^^^, ^^ strong disagree.
Delete^ ditto. Slut-shaming and victim-blaming at its absolute worst, especially because you genuinely don't seem to see the problem with it. It's clear from your comments that the fight isn't (shouldn't be) against people who think "rape is good in any sense" but against the truly ignorant, such as yourself.
DeleteThe Auden reference was anything but tasteful, quite frankly.
ReplyDelete???? Which Auden reference?
DeleteThat moment when you realize you've been cruising around all day with a big old eye booger going on. :(
ReplyDeleteHas anyone had so many things to fix about themselves that they just don't start at all? I feel so overwhelmed; I don't know where to begin...
ReplyDeletehappens like all the damn time...
DeleteMy life, defined
Delete>tfw no gf
ReplyDeleteAnybody wanna be my boyfriend for a week?
ReplyDeleteWill u let m e geet to second bass?
Deleteyes, would love to. a/s/l?
DeleteIs second base boob-touching?
DeleteI can't take this school anymore and I'm going to be glad to leave in a few months.
ReplyDeletewhich school?
DeleteDartmouth.
Deletemmm, what do you hate about it? serious question
DeleteI hate how callous, self-centered, and un-empathetic the student body is, and how apathetic people are about campus issues. I hate that so many alums (not even just recent) think it's natural to shitsling and devalue people based on their race, sexual orientation, or gender. I realize people have had different experiences, but personally, if I'd known back during freshman year what I know now, I never would have come here.
DeleteWHOA WHAT THE FUCK IS DIS SHIT
ReplyDeleteThat's the last fucking time that I take time out of my day to go to foco. Fuck no.
ReplyDeleteso is b@b ever coming back? is this like a forced rehab?
ReplyDeleteBetter question: do we get rehab points for this?
Deletei'm a prospie, i saw some of the comments in reaction to the protests and some of them were pretty scary
ReplyDeleteare there a lot of wasps on campus as per stereotypes? because there were a lot of comments about kicking ungrateful minorities out...
thanks!
The response from this group of people is going to be pretty biased. Just saying.
Delete@ prospie: "wasps" isn't really a phrase that we use, if that's what you're worried about in particular. But there's clearly a lot of anti-minority sentiment, most of it petty, reactionary rage in response to the increasing tendency of minority groups to speak up about the deplorable state of things, recently. There's a good chance they're white (although I have some non-white fb friends who are spouting equally ignorant hate), but being anglo-saxon protestants doesn't really seem to play into it. Religion isn't much of an issue at all.
DeleteY LIVES Y POWER READ Y KNOW Y FREEDOM AND LIBERTY THROUGH Y iff x = x**x
ReplyDeleteHacker Club, stahp. We don't need another b@b with even more potential drama and bs.
ReplyDeleteany status updates jae?
ReplyDeleteNever ask a developer for an ETA. All ETAs are +/- one year.
Deleteb@b will return in 2017
Deleteas the disagree troll, my life has no meaning anymore
ReplyDeleteas the newsworthy troll neither does mine.
Deletehttp://tinychat.com/om6ma
ReplyDeletei use b@b to post things that i wouldn't tweet
ReplyDeleteFor 30 years, I've wanted nothing more than to have one of my kids go to Dartmouth but the comments on bored@baker in response to the Dimensions protest are giving me serious pause about sending someone there. How many people think like the ones that were stupid enough to post what I just read?
ReplyDeleteOver the years, I've been disgusted with the administration's gutless, hypocritical, political correctness in response to the defacing of the Winter Carnival ice sculpture in 1979, the removal of the shantytown in 1986 or even the disruption this last week. In the case of the first two instances, however, when someone criticized the administration or another group on campus, he couldn't hide behind a pseudonym on the internet. It's not an exercise of free speech to spew hate when you don't have the guts to attach your name to your post.
I love this institution like no other and it hurts to have to explain away the gutless morons who posted on b@b this week. Do the authors of these posts have any idea the damage this does to Dartmouth? Do the authors of these posts realize they are devaluing the accomplishment of getting into Dartmouth? Do they realize they are diminishing the value of their degree?
I don't have any suggestions about how to address the source of small-minded hatefulness but I suspect that if a poster has to publicly claim these sentiments, he is much more likely to reflect on it. I hope these idiots are in a small minority that the rest of you drown out with well-justified indignation.
I do not endorse the actions of RealTalk Dartmouth. Those students should be treated as if they were members of the Dartmouth Review doing the same thing (which likely would have been suspension or expulsion); nevertheless, attacking minority groups in response was both counterproductive and wrong.
If you are one of those posters, I'm sorry you're at Dartmouth. Now, kindly shut up.
Mark Soane '82
"Do the authors of these posts have any idea the damage this does to Dartmouth? Do the authors of these posts realize they are devaluing the accomplishment of getting into Dartmouth? Do they realize they are diminishing the value of their degree?"
DeleteIt's interesting that those hateful bigots used exactly these arguments when spewing their hate against the protesters. Who cares about social justice? Making a stink is wrong because minorities whining about Dartmouth's problems hurts our metaphorical pocketbooks and our public image!
"Over the years, I've been disgusted with the administration's gutless, hypocritical, political correctness in response to the defacing of the Winter Carnival ice sculpture in 1979, the removal of the shantytown in 1986"
ReplyDelete...u kidding me?
When is b@b coming back?
ReplyDeleteI'm in Butler. I have a mostly done essay and think I just want to call it a night and get french fries?
ReplyDeleteI don't really post on b@b, but when I do, I guess it's when finals are around the corner and the website is down.