Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Three New Systems

UPDATE: This system is currently DISABLED for all users. There are no moderators for b@b other than myself. We are currently collecting our thoughts on the moderator attempt and will plan try again some other time.

After almost a solid month of development I've just launched three new systems. (Along with many bug fixes i.e. weeks best on login page, check-ins, "exact match" in search, some security checks, etc)
 
Personality Reputation System 

The purpose of this system is to create a new value that measures a personality’s popularity, one that is more reliable than points to determine authority and credibility. This would, for instance, acknowledge that while a specific user has many points it might be the case that they have a low reputation score. It all depends on the popular opinion of the community. From personality profiles, users will have the ability to Vote Up or Vote Down once per personality. This data is used as a factor in an algorithm that will calculate a Reputation Score. This score will be used primarily for determining who is eligible to be a moderator (among many other factors). The score (once vetted) will also be used for things like the Top Personalities and perhaps some other power user features. However, the leaderboard will remain as-is and will continue to be based on points. 

Social Moderation System 

Now that we’ve calculated Reputation Scores for users, we can use this data to make a more trustworthy social moderation system. This new system takes the top reputation holders currently online and grants them temporary moderator privileges. This allows them to view a “Moderator Queue” of reported posts (only reported posts). Moderators must read and agree to the moderation rules each time they access the moderator queue. They then have the ability to collectively VOTE on the posts that should be removed. 5 votes are required to remove a post and 3 votes are required to ignore the report. There is also one more level of moderation: I have the ability to moderate the moderators. I have my own queue that lets me see all the posts that have been removed by moderators. I have various tools that give me insight into how the system is being used and if abused I can take swift action. Be warned. I can permanently remove your permission to become a moderator if you don’t follow the rules. 



Reverse Email Verification System

TRUST is at the top of the priority list of this service. For the purposes of maintaining trust and anonymity with this service, a new unique method of account activation has been implemented to ensure that eligible users holding a valid email address may only create up to 3 accounts. If you already have an account, you will be asked to re-verify your affiliation using this new email verification system. When you receive the verification email, there are three steps you MUST complete in order:
  1. REPLY TO THE EMAIL. You do not need to change the subject or body of the email when you reply. Simply returning this email back to this sending address will activate your account. You will not receive a confirmation that your email was received. 
  2. WAIT A MINUTE. The email must be received by our server before you can proceed to the next step. This is called out as a step because sometimes email can run slowly.  
  3. CLICK THE LINK PROVIDED. A few moments after you send your reply, the link provided in the email will allow you to proceed to the last step in activating your account. (Alternatively, you may use the credentials you specified to log in from the main page).
Not only does this system prevent users from maliciously creating multiple accounts, it also ensures that the voting system is a true and accurate representation of the opinion of the community.

With that said, I know many of you don’t like the idea of moderators but lets run this new system for a little while to see how it goes. Lets give it the benefit of the doubt. I'm trying to give the community back to the users who created it. YOU should have control. Yes there will always be me moding the mods behind the scenes, but I think this service needs to grow up now and learn to take care of itself. Lets keep working together to make b@b a safe and fun environment for everyone.

In any event, let the games begin. I'm looking forward to seeing which personalities are popular and which are not.  :)


Kind Regards,
Jae

6 comments:

  1. Jae your new verification system is total shit. It doesn't let me verify my primary account and my secondary only got verified after multiple attempts. Either fix this or disable it until it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for this inconvenience. I am still working through some bugs. Email me we can try to figure out why you can't regain access.

    ReplyDelete
  3. why does bored@lamont.com not work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're killing us with all this b@f downtime! at least don't keep telling us that it will be back tonight

    ReplyDelete
  5. hell, I'd be happier if you just said "I have no idea when it'll be back - it could be months"

    ReplyDelete